ECTRIMS MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS FLEXIBLE, SHORT-TERM NURSE TRAINING FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
(1 WEEK UP TO 3 MONTHS IN DURATION)
(Applications can be submitted at any point throughout the year and review will be expedited)
To download this information as PDF click here.
ECTRIMS offers MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS FLEXIBLE, SHORT-TERM NURSE TRAINING FELLOWSHIPS for qualified/licensed nurses to provide the opportunity to obtain additional expertise through practical nursing experience and training in a mentored MS environment in Europe. The aim is to enhance nursing care and support of individuals with MS by fostering improved clinical care and education and by helping to promote best practices in nursing care throughout Europe.
Mentored training will be available for nurse candidates with some MS nursing experience who wish to enhance their professional capabilities. Training must be under the direction and mentorship of a senior MS nurse specialist, in association with a senior MS clinician where appropriate, at a European clinical site with significant expertise in MS.
This fellowship programme will provide short term training for up to 3 months in total in one or more specialized aspects of MS nursing (for instance, education, bladder-bowel management, spasticity, etc.). Training duration can be flexible, depending on the proposed programme and candidate’s experience, from 1 week to 3 months. Proposals can be sent to ECTRIMS and reviewed at any point during the year (no fixed deadline); if awarded, training can be initiated immediately or at any point; and multiple visits to one or more host institution(s) and with one or more mentor(s) can be supported.
A proposal, on forms provided by ECTRIMS, must include a brief description of the proposed training programme and training duration at the host institution(s) throughout the training period.
It is anticipated that multiple fellowships will be awarded each year, depending on the candidate and mentor qualifications, the quality of the training proposal and availability of funds.
- Citizens of any country are eligible to apply for this training programme; however, the training must be undertaken in European institutions or clinics.
- Candidates must have recognized nursing qualifications (a general nursing degree with or without special nursing credentials, such as neurological nursing, rehabilitation nursing, etc.) and be licensed for nursing practice in their home country.
- It is anticipated that successful candidates will have some, but not necessarily extensive, full or part time MS nursing experience at their home institution and that the candidate will return to their home institution after training or move on to another MS nursing position at another institution, better prepared to excel in MS nursing and support people living with MS and the MS clinical care team.
- In general, successful candidates will be 55 years of age or younger, and will anticipate continuing in their MS nursing careers upon completion of the training.
- Candidates and their mentors must affirm that there will be no language barriers that will impede the training experience.
The Training Mentor and Institution
- The training institution/mentor(s) must be located in Europe, with reputation and credentials related to MS clinical care. While it is anticipated that the training institution will be a hospital/clinic in or closely affiliated with an academic medical center, private clinic training sites will be considered if they are of outstanding quality and reputation in MS care.
- The fellowship candidate must identify and solicit the agreement of an appropriate mentor(s) for the training period. It is expected that the lead mentor will be an experienced MS nurse or team of nurses. If assistance is needed in identifying an appropriate training site/mentor, the ECTRIMS Secretariat may be able to provide advice and direction.
- A relevant clinic director must be identified and must agree to host the trainee in his/her clinic/department; the training institution must certify its willingness to welcome the trainee during the fellowship period and to accept the terms of ECTRIMS support related to payment(s) and responsibility for the fellow’s performance during training.
- The training institution may be in the same city or country as the candidate’s home institution, but fellows wishing to train in a different city or different European country are encouraged, so long as language and nursing licensing requirements do not present barriers to a successful training period.
Explanation of the Training Plan
- The trainee or mentor must outline a brief nursing care training programme, not more than one page in length. This may include observational and/or hands-on clinical care under the guidance of the mentor/team, academic course work
Fellowship Term and Support Levels
- ECTRIMS MS nursing fellowships are available for flexible terms of 1 week up to a maximum of 3 months.
- If the home institution continues paying the salary of the trainee during the fellowship period, ECTRIMS will cover:
o The fellow’s travel expenses (economy) to and from the home institution and host institution for one or more trips as appropriate (reimbursement upon submission of travel receipts).
o The fellow’s costs for housing (low-cost, reimbursement upon submission of receipt)
- Should the home institution not continue to pay the salary of the trainee during his/her fellowship period (eg, the fellow will be on unpaid leave-of-absence during the training period), ECTRIMS will pay:
o the fellow’s travel expenses (economy) to and from the home institution and host institution for one or more trips as appropriate (reimbursement upon submission of travel receipts.
o the fellow’s costs for housing (low-cost, reimbursement upon submission of receipt).
o a stipend of 4600€ per month for up to 3 months (or prorated, depending on the duration of the fellowship training period.
Payments from ECTRIMS will be made directly to the fellow, once the fellowship has been confirmed by the host institution and the fellowship has officially started. Should the fellowship duration last more than 6 weeks, then payments will be made in 2 instalments,
- Fellows will be invited to attend the annual ECTRIMS Congress during the term of their training period. ECTRIMS will separately support travel and accommodations for congress participation.
- No additional support for books, journal subscriptions, etc. will be provided.
Changes in the Fellowship Programme:
- It is anticipated that the entire training period will be undertaken at the host institution as planned. However, in special circumstances, ECTRIMS will consider requests to transfer the fellowship to a new mentor or institution. Authorization must be requested and provided prior to any such change. Unexpended funds at the original host institution must be returned to ECTRIMS in the event of an approved institutional transfer and the balance will be reissued to a new approved host institution by ECTRIMS.
- The ECTRIMS MS Nurse Training Fellowship is awarded to an individual and is not transferable to a different fellow at the host institution.
- ECTRIMS must be notified of early termination of a fellowship and unexpended funds at the host institution must be returned to ECTRIMS.
- ECTRIMS may revoke or terminate an MS Nurse Training Fellowship early if the fellow is unable to carry out the training as planned, if a mentor requests termination because of unsatisfactory performance by the fellow, or in the event of cause established by due process of law or regulations or as a consequence of an institutional review committee’s determination of fraud or malfeasance.
- Fellows and their mentors are required to provide reports of the training experience at its conclusion within 30 days of the completion of the training programme, including an evaluation of the mentor and training site by the fellow and of the trainee by the mentor. A financial report of how funds were expended by the fellow must also be provided. Forms for completing the reporting requirements will be sent by ECTRIMS to the fellow and her/his mentor near the time of the end of the fellowship.
- After the training period, it is expected that the fellow will return to her/his original home institution for employment as an MS nurse, or will obtain employment as an MS nurse in a different institution. Post-fellowship career plans should be detailed as part of the application process.
- ECTRIMS fellows will be requested to maintain contact with the ECTRIMS secretariat so that post-training career paths can be tracked and to assist with overall programme evaluation.
Applications for the ECTRIMS MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS FLEXIBLE, SHORT-TERM NURSE TRAINING FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME are available from the ECTRIMS website (www.ectrims.eu). Applications can be sent to the ECTRIMS secretariat at any time throughout the year and will be evaluated within 2 weeks by the ECTRIMS Executive Committee and designated consultants. Applications will be evaluated based on the:
- candidate qualifications, including educational history, previous employment history, current employment responsibilities related to MS nursing, self-stated goals of training, and an evaluation of the candidate’s career plans
- qualifications and characteristics of the proposed training mentor
- qualifications and characteristics of the host institution
- the nature of the proposed training plan and its practicality and relevance to the goals of the programme
- the quality of letters of endorsement from the proposed mentor, the home institution and from professional references.
To these ends, the fellowship application should provide:
Part 1: provided by the candidate
- A completed application, in English, available from the ECTRIMS website (www.ectrims.eu) including demographics of the candidate, her/his past experience, goals for training and future career plans.
- A brief curriculum vitae of the applicant including bibliography of any relevant publication.
- A brief training programme description developed together by the candidate and proposed mentor, no more than one page in length.
Part 2: supporting materials provided directly to ECTRIMS by others
The following additional items must be submitted electronically to email@example.com. Please be sure to ask referees to clearly identify the NAME of the applicant on all pages of his/her letters and supporting materials.
- From the proposed mentor: Letter of support from the proposed training mentor, with special reference to interactions she/he has had with the proposed fellow in planning for the training period and with details of the training programme that will be provided to the candidate. If hands-on training (direct interaction with MS patients) is proposed, certification that the proposed fellow will be able to undertake nursing care activities as outlined in the training plan at the training institution must be provided by the mentor (this is not needed if the training experience is to be purely observational). A current curriculum vitae and full bibliography for the proposed mentor should be included.
- From the training institution:
a) Letter of support from the department chair (or other relevant institutional official) at the proposed host institution accepting the proposed fellow, should a fellowship be awarded.
b) Institutional certification accepting the terms of the ECTRIMS fellowship and payments. The necessary form will be sent to the applicant, who should forward it to the institution for completion and return to ECTRIMS
- From other referees:
In addition to a supporting letter from the mentor, letter(s) of reference from the candidate’s home institution and from professionals acquainted with the proposed fellow that address the fellow’s qualities and likelihood for a future successful career focused on MS nursing.
Up to 3 letters of reference may be provided.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Notification of ECTRIMS award deliberations:
The ECTRIMS Fellowship Review Committee will review all proposals; notification of the review outcomes will be communicated to the fellow and the host institution once review has been completed.
For questions and further information, please contact the ECTRIMS Secretariat at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To download this information as PDF click here.